Top 10 Billionaires in the World
We take a brief look at the Top 10 billionaires in the world, who had made a difference in everything they do. Their wealth and their power has changed many lives. From close by to far away, here are our Top 10.
It is no surprise that the Number one spot is held by the esteemed, influential and charitable Bill Gates, co-founder of Microsoft for the third year in a row. 61-year old Seattle (Washington) born Gates has an estimated net worth of $75 billion, of which he donates a large sum to a number of philanthropic endeavors and charitable organisations through the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation.
- 80-year-old Spanish-born Amancio Ortega comes in at Number two. As founder and former chairman of Inditex fashion group, his claim to fame is the very popular Zara chain of retail clothing and accessories shops, raking in a cool net worth of around $67 billion.
- Warren Edward Buffett’s (80) net worth is approximately $60.8 billion. Born in Omaha, Nebraska, his wealth was acquired through the acquisition of a textile manufacturing firm Berkshire Hathaway. He is also known for his philanthropic work through the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, is an American investor and a business magnate of note.
- Mexican-born Carlos Slim made his projected $50 billion through his conglomerate, Grupo Carso, which has extensive holdings in a number of Mexican companies. This 80-year-old civil engineer built his conglomerate out of transportation, real estate, hospitality, entertainment, financial services, media, high-technology, health care and education to name a few.
- Albuquerque (New Mexico) born Jeffrey Preston Jorgensen, better known as Jeff Bezos is the founder, chairman and chief executive officer of the world’s largest online shopping retailer Amazon.com. At age 53, his riches amount to about $45.2 billion.
- The youngest billionaire, Mark Zuckerberg (32) from White Plains, New York, made his $44.6 billion fortune by co-founding one of the most popular social media platforms of our time, Facebook. As a computer programmer, Zuckerberg launched Facebook from Harvard’s dormitory rooms in 2004. Growing steadily, Facebook had one billion users by 2012. In the same year, Zuckerberg and his wife, Priscilla Chan launched The Giving Pledge, announcing that they would give the bulk of their wealth to ‘advancing human potential and promoting equality’.
- Manhattan-born Larry Ellison (72) co-founded Oracle Corporation in 1977. This successful database vendor contributed to Ellison’s wealth, valued at $43.6 billion. In addition to his work at Oracle, Ellison has donated up to 1% of his wealth to charity through The Giving Pledge. He is a keen yachtsman and a licensed aircraft pilot who owns two military jets.
- Michael Bloomberg, who served as the 108th Mayor of New York for three consecutive terms from 2002 to 2013, has a valued net worth of $40 billion. Boston Massachusetts born Bloomberg (75) is the CEO and owner of Bloomberg L.P. a global financial service, mass media and software company, which he formed in 1981.
- American businessman Charles Koch (81) is co-owner, chairman of the board and chief executive officer of Koch Industries. This family business was expanded from oil refining and chemicals to process and pollution control equipment and technologies, polymers and fibres, minerals, fertilizers, commodity trading and services, forest and consumer products and ranching, having a net worth of about $39.6 billion.
- David Koch (76) is an integral part of the family business Koch Industries, serving as executive vice president and co-owner with older brother Charles. This chemical engineer is a philanthropist and political activist. He has the same net worth as his brother, estimated at $39.6 billion. He is a survivor of the USAir Flight 1493 crash in 1991.
The following two tabs change content below.
Heléne Ramackers is a freelance journalist who enjoys interviewing local and international celebrities but thinks she has found her calling amongst the travel writing fraternity. A creature comfort girl at heart, she loves all things opulent. Her first taste of the bushveld was all it took to get bitten by the ‘bush-bug’, an absolute life-altering experience. She now longs for the expanse of wide open spaces, a pollution-free sky and the roar of a lion lulling her to sleep. When she’s not fantasizing about her next leopard sighting, she thrives on taking photographs of her family and loves capturing the beauty of sunrises, sunsets, rainbows and the magnificence of the full moon. Born and bred in Cape Town, this wife and doting mother loves visiting the beauty that is right on her doorstep – the splendor Table Mountain, the crashing waves at Bloubergstrand and the alluring scenery of the winelands. To add Upscale Living to her portfolio is a dream come true!